Columbia, South Carolina is where I call home. When I moved here three years ago, it was very important to me to find running trails right away. Thankfully, I was in luck! Columbia, in my opinion, is a runner-friendly community and there is no shortage of places to run. Check out the list below of great running spots throughout the city!
- River Walk: Conveniently located downtown, the River Walk is a safe and popular place to run. The River Walk is paved and provides a beautiful view of the Congaree River. Free.
- Saluda Shoals Park: Just off of Bush River Road, you can run in this riverfront nature park for hours! The park has dirt trails, meadows, and paved paths. $5 entrance fee/option to buy annual pass.
- Harbison State Forest: Located a few minutes outside of downtown, this forest is a trail runner’s paradise. Run your heart out on over 31 miles of trails. $5 entrance fee/option to buy annual pass.
- Shandon/Rosewood: The Shandon and Rosewood neighborhoods in downtown have well-kept sidewalks that make it easy to get your miles in. Free (depending where you park).
- Irmo Community Park: A quiet park with paved paths in the suburb of Irmo, just off the highway. Free.
- Lake Murray Dam: This walkway is a popular place for joggers and provides a breath-taking view of Lake Murray. Run across the dam on Lake Murray for a total of 3.4 miles. Free.
- Sesqui State Park: Located in the Sandhills area of Columbia, Sesqui has 12 miles of trails and paved paths for runners. $5 entrance fee/option to buy annual pass.
Do you have any places to add to the list? Comment below!